HCI blog

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Health problems using computers

After hours sitting on the computer at the labs, my neck starts to ache. I thought it was due to pressure and stress for example java. I know you have to sit comfortably in front of the computer having the monitor aligned to your eye sight. But I also found out that there have been many case of severe muscle aches in the different part of the body. Wrist and hand problems are common with computers. For example, 'floating' your hand over the mouse for long periods leads to strain on the ligaments in the back of the hand and the wrist. Also health problems may occur as a result of high repetition of hand movements, forceful typing, or having bent wrists whilst using the keyboard.
I asked people in the computer labs if they experienced any problems for example the atmosphere. They said the atmosphere is really bad when lots of people are in the labs at once. Also its hot and sweaty and very distracting. Also, some chair are very uncomfortable. The cs staff should do something about his.

4 Comments:

  • Ok, first of all you should not be using the computer for long periods without a break in between. That is explained in most manuals, which come with the machine.

    You should keep your back straight when sitting at a computer; this will allow you to keep your posture in the correct position.

    There is one thing you have mentioned, which should be dealt with. They should provide users, who need one, with a wrist rest when using the keyboards, as students are constantly typing code and writing up projects.

    By Blogger @rwind@, at 1 December 2004 at 17:51  

  • I work in an IT company and I started to feel pain at the back of my neck, my shoulders and arms and I began taking medications to relieve pain which I really don't like but I have to.

    Computer support service

    By Blogger compssport, at 1 November 2011 at 12:50  

  • With countless conveniences, the computer also brings some health issues of which computer users are frequently experiencing. One of the most common is problem is strain in the eyes.

    online pc repair

    By Blogger scarlet reynolds, at 8 November 2011 at 10:59  

  • http://www.the-healthiest.com is the Healthiest site with answers to health questions.

    By Blogger Nikolay Argirov, at 22 July 2013 at 12:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home